Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thoughts on PSI Seminars

I've had a number of requests for more information about PSI seminars since staffing the basic course. For those of you who are curious, I'll share my thoughts. The course I staffed over Christmas is the introductory course and called the Basic.

It's described thus: "PSI Basic is an educational course where you challenge yourself to explore, question and discover your life, such that you expand our personal and professional effectiveness NOW!"

After attending the Basic Seminar and staffing the Christmas, I am truly impressed with the quality of the program, the integrity and commitment not only of the teaching but also the people who are involved.

I've seen how absolutely effective and life changing this program can be for the people who attend. The people who run and volunteer at the programs are fully committed to their own personal excellence and growth, and to supporting others with their goals. It's a course for very successful people.

The psychological model and theory is really aligned and integral. It's well put together. They say that the PSI 7 course is the equivalent of 7 years of life experience in 7 days. I'm looking forward to that one. :) What's really cool, is that I took the basic, completely understood cognitively what they were doing- and the exercises still worked.

They teach basic meditation and visualization techniques- and also a lot about intention and integrity with your word etc etc. I don't agree 100% with everything that they teach, but it's effective and they are helping a lot of people live the lives they really want to live.

So I would describe Personal Success Institute as a Seminar company for successful people who want to achieve more success in life and be the best they can be so they can contribute more to their communities, families, and the world. They've been in business for 35 years- are the longest running seminar company of their kind, and run their program not only in high class hotels, but in inner city schools and in places like columbine right after the shootings.

They have a 100% money back guarantee if you don't like it AND amazingly once you have taken the Basic course- you can go back and participate in any part of it again as many times as you want for free.

There is only one exercise I'm not allowed to share - and that is because if you understand the point of the exercise when you're doing it it loses its effectiveness as a teaching tool and would ruin it for the other participants. But if you really want to know you can go online and read about it. It's posted out there.

I can also write about my personal experiences but to be honest this would tell you very little about the class because everyone experiences it differently. The course is experiential thus subjective- you have different goals and reasons for taking the course and therefore will have a different outcome and experience than I did.

As one of the facilitators says "if anyone came here for the same reason I did- to have a better relationship with my wife and my kids- I'd really like to talk to them on the break ;)" I learned so much about myself that was exceptional- some amazing lessons about how it's ok to be powerful and loved and visible for starters. Several months after taking the first course and staffing an event, I am still seeing benefits, experiencing greater understanding about myself and integrating the lessons I learned.

People of all ages, belief systems and walks of life take it. The psychological model is sound and exercises are incredibly effective. The company also has a non-profit division that contributes to numerous charities around the world, and really at the heart of it- the goal is to encourage people to find creative, peaceful solutions

You can check out their website here: http://www.psiseminars.com/

The classes are designed to help people become aware of their programs and destructive patterns and teach them through theory and practical exercises, how to change those programs and live the life they want to live.

They have weird PR. Bob proctor, Jack Canfield and Marshall Thurber recommend their programs, they were mentioned in the Secret- but there are also a bunch of really negative postings on the web in different forums that accuse PSI of being a cult- as there is with Landmark.

that's probably for a few reasons:

1. Although participants are advised not to make drastic changes for at least 30 days after the program (divorce etc)- some people don't listen- and they do dramatic things which upsets the people in their life and they get mad and post on the internet. Change is scary- it really is. People come out of the class with a greater understanding of themselves- and sometimes this can be very dramatic. Which freaks out people around them- even if it's good change it's still scary. Counselors say that positive change can be as stressful as negative ones.

2. Like anything, there are people who go to PSI who are of a "sheep" or follower mentality and who get fanatical about the program and are really freaky in trying to get others to come out to take the classes. I know- I met one- and she's the reason I didn't take the basic 4 years ago when I had a chance the first time. Of course, now I'm sorry about that ... but such is life.

3. PSI people who are committed to supporting each other and assisting each other to be successful and exceptional and one of the ways they do this is by using the tools that PSI teaches- and that comes with a "language" and concepts. Which like Landmark, can sound weird to people who haven't been in the course. Right now, I know the corporate office is working on getting rid of the verbiage and making the language common- so I know they are changing it.

Two of my friends- incredibly integral, aware and highly motivated spiritual people recommended that I should take the class- and they are both very free individuals and have amazing personalities. And because of how much I respect them both I decided to go and try it for myself. No one tried to make me drink any cool aid, ;) or force me to believe or do anything that I didn't want to do.

People that recommend the course do so because they have benefited from it and believe in it and want those around them to be successful and have amazing lives. And it works. That's why I'm volunteer and helping out.

So finally, it may help to send you the lyrics to one of their "theme" songs. Although they don't really get into god in depth in the basic- they do talk about the idea that we are all connected and all one- and it's very well done in a way that allows all different belief systems to understand what they are saying. Generally it's pretty practical and motivational in nature. so here are the song lyrics. This really captures the philosophy- which is you create your life, so stop living on the sidelines and live each day as if it is the last day of your life

Diving In
Stephen Curtis Chapman

The long awaited rains
Have fallen hard upon the thirsty ground
Have carved their way to where
The wild and rushing river can be found
And like the rains I have been carried here to where the river flows,
My heart is racing and my knees are weak
As I walk to the edge
I know there is no turning back
Once my feet have left the ledge
And in the rush I hear a voice
That's telling me it's time to take a leap of faith
So here I go!

I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The river’s deep
The river’s wide
The river’s water is alive
So sink or swim I'm diving in

There is a supernatural power In this mighty river’s flow
It can bring the dead to life And it can fill an empty soul
And give a heart the only thing Worth living and worth dying for
But we will never know the awesome power Of the grace of God
Until we let ourselves get swept away Into this holy flood
So if you'll take my hand We'll close our eyes and count to three And take the leap of faith
Come on let's go!

I'm diving in
I'm going deep
In over my head I want to be
Caught in the rush
Lost in the flow
In over my head I want to go
The river’s deep
The river’s wide
The river’s water is alive
So sink or swim I'm diving in

Hopefully that answers any questions you might have. I recommend the course, if for no other reason than that you meet amazing and incredible people who also want to be the best they can be, and it is a fabulous networking opportunity. Also, a point to mention is that I've met some wonderful friends and found a lot of support myself- with people who genuinely care about seeing me succeed. It's a very positive, genuinely caring and proactive group. :)

Much Love, and blessings from the rainforests and mountains of BC.

xo Rayne

No comments: